Thursday, August 14, 2014

walking on water

As a part of worship this past Wednesday night, I had the honor of leading Oceans (which is currently one of my favorite songs, just fyi) by Hillsong United.

With what is a wildly popular and vocally very demanding song, I was honestly nervous. 

During rehearsal, my good friend and co-worship leader Micah asked me why I was so nervous. I told him that I needed to stop worrying about 'making it good' and let God make it good. 

The entire night,  the Lord was (and still is!) revealing so much truth to me, and I began to appreciate this song in a new way. 

I would venture to say that for most people, Oceans is very much an Action Song. It's a song about letting the Holy Spirit lead you to take huge leaps of faith, and to know that the Lord is trustworthy as you step on to the raging waves.
At least that's how I viewed this song, until now. 

While searching for a scripture to tie in, instead of being led to the story of Peter jumping out of the boat to walk on water with Jesus, I was lead to Psalm 119:105…

Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light for my path.

What the Lord unfolded before me is the truth that His word is steadfast. His promises, His love, it'sall always trustworthy. If I am taking a gigantic leap of faith, or just daily choosing to honor Him, He's the same God.

Sometimes when we are caught up in daily life, we are just that. Caught up. Sometimes we feel stuck. Bound by our circumstances  We long to throw ourselves into the 'next big step in our walks with God.' Oceans is such a great encouragement during those 'big step' seasons.

But could it be that Oceans also resonates with the Christian who is simply trying to live out following Jesus daily? 

To me, daily life as a Christ Follower can be equally as challenging as any 'big step' of faith, because following Jesus requires steps of faith every single day. Faith to make certain decisions, to believe unpopular views, to live for something greater. We have to know that we are living out this faith-life for a reason. 

Maybe walking on water is a daily process.  

He takes us deeper as we continue to walk with Him. When what seems like an ocean of discontentment and despair rises in my heart, I'm encouraged by these lyrics… 

my soul will rest in Your embrace // for I am Yours and You are mine

He HAS called us out upon the waters. Every day. To walk with Him in faith and surrender. And our faiths will stand because when we call out His name, He is our Savior.

You've never failed // and You won't start now

When we believe this, TRULY believe it, He will take us deeper and our faith in Him will be stronger. 

I pray that Jesus would lead me where my trust is without borders every single day of my life because of my decision to follow Him.

No matter the cost. Great or small. He's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment